Monday, July 13, 2015

True Charity

Dear loved ones, 

I am BLOWN away at what a great week it has been. I kind of laugh when it comes to Internet hour because I feel like I am just repeating the same things that it was a GREAT week and there isnt anything bad that happened--but amongst all the trials there are in the mission, it is just too difficult to be sad! It truly is much easier to be happy. But anyway, my cause for happiness this week came from a variety of sources:

1-We took President Marler's advice and starting visiting and asking what we can do to serve the members here in Guadalupe. COMPLETELY changed the relationship we have with them. The best part is seeing the suprise in their faces when we prioritize their needs before the mission work. (although that IS the mission work (:)

2-The intercambios or division we had with the sister leaders. I dropped down to San Pedro with Hermana Blackburn and my companion stayed in our area. I learned SO many things and we had a great number of super spiritual experiences. 

3-My personal study that I did this past Saturday. I decided that my love and compassion isn't as deep for the people I interact with as it should be. Studied up on something I had NO idea about. 1 Corinthians 13 verse 3 says: 

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

We can GIVE our goods to the poor; we can GIVE our very life for others, and STILL lack charity. I have always perceived charity as just that--giving to others. But the more I studied charity and the type of kindness the Savior showed, it changed my view so much. Being charitable isnt about showing kindness, it is about being kind. Although there aren't too many verses that show what Jesus was thinking or feeling, we cannot possibly think that he forgave the adulterous woman thinking about how disobedient she had been; nor imagine that Christ felt anger towards His Father when He commanded him in whatsoever thing. Charity is so much deeper--and it involves feeling love and channeling out the negative thoughts towards others. It is something we can only pray to have, because our nature isn't prone to automatic God-like love. 

I challenge you all to pray for this gift from God. All of our actions that are done out of obligation will bring no eternal reward. Internalizing and changing our own nature is the MIRACLE of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 

Love you all and have a safe week. Enjoy the photos I attached too! haha (: The first is from our divisions with the Sister Leaders and the second is from our Zone Training Meeting this week. Until next P-Day!

Love,
Sister Furness





No comments:

Post a Comment