Monday, October 12, 2015

Ooo Meh Gersh

What a great week it has been. Even though one of our investigators that is preparing for baptism has fallen through, I felt like I have seen nothing but miracles, happiness, and peace filled moments within each day. I am SUPER stoked for the baptism of an investigator, Frances, this coming Saturday. YEE! She is astounding and powerful in her testimony. So many members have commented on her maturity and readiness to be baptized. We will also be going to her art exhibit on Tuesday that we received permission for so hopefully I can snag pics of us together there (: If not, there will be baptism pictures! :D

Oh and speaking of pictures, totally slacked on those this week. So I attached a picture of our pensionista's kids, Monica with Victor sporting a moustache.(:

This week, my studies led me to some great revelations. I especially liked my studies in Ephesians in preparing for teaching chastity to an investigator. In chapter 5 verses 1 through 5 it reads:

Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor uncleanperson, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath anyinheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

I wanted to use this verse in our lesson because it doesn't just address adultry or fornication alone. My favorite part is that of verse 4 that mentions our manner of language and joking as a way to be virtuous or vile. God IS holy and clean of crude language, jokes, and gestures. He doesn't ever put someone's name down for the sake of joking nor criticizes them because "that's the way he justs sees it." Yes, even THAT is part of virtue. Anything that makes us filthy, takes down the true joy of another, and chases the spirit makes us shine more dimmly. I have learned, thanks especially to my intercambio with Hna. Pineda, that the question "who can find a virtuous woman?" is real and "for her price is far above rubies" rings true. Maybe we're quick to say, "oh well I've NEVER gone that far" but slow to recognize that the way we speak to others and "joke around" doesn't suggest so. I challenge you all to observe the way that you speak to others and how it builds them up or tears them down--including the way we speak about ourselves! :)

Love,
Hermana Furness


No comments:

Post a Comment