Monday, August 31, 2015

Wheel of Life

Hey all!

Although this week we had a lot of things take our attention away from the work, we had some awesome moments and found some new people to teach. And President Calderon taught an AMAZING class yesterday in church. He used the "bicycle wheel examination" to teach us a way to self-evaluate how smooth our life is running. It involves the spokes of a bicycle as levels from 1 to 10 on how well we are in a certain area, such as socially, spiritually, with family, education, and other topics. If we had a 10 in each area, it would connect to be a perfect circle and the wheel would run smoothly and perfectly. But as we might be doing well spiritually, weak with our education, ok with our sociability, the lines connect to make an abstract shape and it rolls like an unrefined stone. I have a poor drawing in my agenda from taking notes that might show better what I explained. 
 
On another note, the work in Huanchaco has truly been great. We are focusing on finding new investigators as I might have mentioned--which has been more difficult than it seemed. We can find many people to teach and get an appointment with, but finding "the chosen ones" is more like finding the ripest apples on the tree. It takes a lot of skill and asking the "Lord of the vineyard" for help in recognizing the ripe ones, but when we find one it gives us a completely new drive for the work. In our efforts we have found a few chosen ones that have some great potential. I mentioned in my letter to President Marler that I desire to come to a point where the missionary purpose--teaching and acting as Christ--isn't a hurdle that I am trying to overcome. I would like to reach a point that the missionary work is natural and my focus is completely on the needs of the investigators, less actives, and the ward. Having a great companion like Hermana Bronson has helped and being with a missionary who has less time has taught me a TON. I love being with her!

One scripture I want to share (that yes, is from President Calderon's class haha) is one that he shares quite often from Alma 38:1--

1. My son, give ear to my words, for I say unto you, even as I said unto Helaman, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosperin the land ; and inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence

Although the english scripture is good, I prefer the translation of the verse in Spanish:

 Hijo mío, da oído a mis palabras, porque te digo, como dije a Helamán, que al grado que guardes los mandamientos de Dios, prosperarás en la tierra; y si no guardas los mandamientos de Dios, serás separado de su presencia.

I think the key phrase is that it says, "al grado que guardes los mandamientos" or "the grade(level) that you keep the commandments." President Calderon has expounded on this and has helped the ward focus on the "level of obedience" we are putting forth. When I feel like I might not be "prospering" in the mission, I have to step back and observe how dedicated I am to obeying every rule, suggestion, and spiritual inclination that comes into my path. As my sister mentioned to me before my mission, "obedience produces blessings, and exact obedience produces miracles." The invitation for all of you at home is to observe the level of dedication that you are putting forth to receive the eternal blessings God has in store. I hope we can learn to be as humble as The Perfect Sacrifice was in the coming week. Love you all!

Hermana Furness




1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing! I totally am saving this 'Wheel of Life' visual to remember. Good notes. - The only problem for me is that I score low (about 2-3) in every department of my life so I guess that i have a smooth balanced life but my bicycle wheel is very very small and doesn't touch the ground. I guess that why I go no where??? Did he give any counsel about how to fix that?? Unicycle I guess it is? And learn how to balance well? - So glad you are doing well Hermana Furness! Grateful to read your letters! Love, Sister Kristy Grover

    ReplyDelete