Monday, January 11, 2016

As Sisters in Zion

Monday, January 11, 2016

Well have I got NEWS. Lots of crazy things that went down this week. We had the best and I mean THE BEST zone training meeting ever this week. We talked about repentance, the Atonement, retaining through the temple, and improving our studies. Elder Bailey, from our zone, did 10 pushups for each donut that was offered to every one of us. He ended up doing 150 in total and was nearly dead by 100. It was so heartbreaking to see him struggle and think that this is just a sliver in comparison to Christ's suffering. Whether or not we accept it, He suffered for us. Would you let His suffering be in vain? Would we be too prideful to accept that gift? Something to think on. 

But some news on things that happened this week--I got super deadly sick saturday night but made a miraculous recovery for Sunday and gave my last talk in Huanchaco. Wait, did I say last talk? That's right! I HAVE CHANGES! And major ones too. I've been called as a sister leader in Villa del Mar with Sister Smith that I knew from the MTC! I received my training on Sunday with Sister Marler and the assistants. It was a great experience and I learned a lot more about how serious the work of caring for our fellow sisters is. Equally to the Relief Society, the temporal and spiritual well being is placed in our hands and this means that we are to provide TESTIMONY building experiences that might just determine the salvation of each soul. WORK OF SALVATION YEAH!

Oh, and Villa del Mar is the area of the temple, and President said I will be ending my mission there. Spoiler! đŸ˜‹

I studied some scriptures for a great investigator we're teaching tonight who's name is Carmen. I read scriptures about the Restoration and I like one that I found in Corinthians 12 that testifies of the original organization of the church:

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
 29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
 30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
 31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

I wanted to include the verses that ask questions about the spiritual gifts because those are what made me think about the purpose of a prophet. I'm sure God would love to give all He has to all His children--referring to all the spiritual gifts He could give us--but D&C 46:12 explains why He won't do that. Besides having cool super power like gifts, prophets use these gifts for the salvation of God's children. Maybe that's WHY it's like a super power. But as members of the Church of Jesus Christ, we understand the importance of revelation and prophecy. Without a prophet, we are left at personal revelation--something that could guide us an individual but as a group--as a FAMILY--we need a leader who can receive revelation for everyone. As I've heard, salvation might be a personal issue, but exaltation is a FAMILY issue. I know that if we listen and live according to the prophets' words, we will not only obtain immortality and live in the celestial kingdom, but we will gain eternal life and live in the highest glory of the celestial kingdom, with our Heavenly Father. 

I'll be writing this week about my new adventures in Villa del Mar. Have a safe and fun week all!

Love,
Sister Furness 

p.s. we went to the temple this week with our recent convert Frances. She's possibly my favorite person I've met here in Peru!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment